Sunday, July 27, 2008

1994

The Wackness. We saw it last night and I keep thinking about it today, which I think is a sign of a good movie. I loved it, and I don't know if it is because I am simply nostalgic about 1994, or if it is because I loved the music (of course I loved the music), or what.

Like Luke, I graduated from high school in 1994, and I think was somewhere between being the most popular loser or the least popular popular kid. I don't remember much about that summer, I think it was full of babysitting and anticipation - I was very ready to leave for college. That was the summer that I went to Alaska with my dad, and of course there was freshman orientation, probably a family beach trip, the girls weekend at the ranch where we played Liz Phair. I think I went to a lot of parties with friends who were doing summer theatre productions, and now that I think about it there was some making out with a certain older boy for that last month before I left. I think the possibilities of the summer were bigger because I knew I was leaving soon - I could wreak a little havoc and escape consequences. I wanted to be "ready" for the real fun of college, because I knew that some bets would be off once I got to Austin.

Laura and I were talking the other day about how spotty our memories are, how there are certain things that are crystal-clear, but so many fuzzy spots. I know that only increases with age, as new events crowd out the pile of old ones. So it's nice to find something that evokes that feeling, if not specific well-lit moments, of being a young person with an open road ahead. Because these days my sense of possibility can often feel more like a sense of impending doom. There was no doom that summer of 1994, and I can remember how good it felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment